Okay, that code I promised is going to be a bit delayed. Sadly, I have found that Cg is not going to work out as my shading language. It doesn't seem to work when I switch it over to the glsl profiles, and that's a big problem. After checking the same configuration against the official Cg examples, and finding they had the same behavior, I am afraid that this is beyond the scope of my own code.
If I want my code to be accessible to ATI users, I have to have glsl compatability. So it's looking like I will have to remove Cg entirely, and start using a GLSL shader pipeline. This is going to require time to re-author shaders and change binding/loading code. ;_;