Art and game behavior courtesy of Anton Hand.
Click ring to drop dice in box.
Click chips around box to chuck chips in center.
Click button in upper left to reset ring.
This demo will only work for SM3.0 level GPUs. If you attempt to use it on an earlier generation GPU, you will just see black on all the geometry that is using the RSRM shader.
If you were wondering why I haven't posted much lately then please allow me to fill you in on the details. Recently, I tried getting my Physically-Based Rendering (PBR) tech into Unity3D, with surprising success. Having gotten this working in a prototype, my artist friend set out to build a game using this new tech. Sadly, the project encountered some complications, and ultimately had to be cancelled.
Despite this, the prototype is in a state where the basic functionality is working. So I have decided to re-purpose it as a tech demo, which you can access via the above link. Please check it out and leave some feedback about the visuals in the comments section. ;)
The prototype shader used for this demo was single-pass forward rendered using two fake directional lights and a Radially Symmetric Reflection Map (RSRM). The scene itself also has SSAO, Bloom, and FXAA just to top it off.
The results are slightly incorrect due to my misunderstanding of the need to plug the BRDFs into the Punctual Light Equation and cancel some terms out. As a result, the specular ended up too bright, and fresnel for RSRM gives too much rim for rough surfaces. So while it is significantly better than the current standard of Phong & Blinn Phong lighting models, it still falls short of what I wanted to achieve.
Currently, I am working on an improved version that will correctly integrate with Unity3D's forward multipass lighting system. It will correctly accumulate the lighting in an FP16 target in linear space, then receive tonemapping before being passed to the rest of the pipeline. I will also being improving upon the built-in Bloom, SSAO, and Depth of Field effects to really sell the effect.
Keep your eyes peeled for future updates! ;)
Other than this, I am currently working on a revised RSRM article, to centralize all I have learned in an easy to reference article. It will also detail the PBR BRDF I have chosen for my project, including strengths and weaknesses. Finally, this will provide a good opportunity for me to clear up some incomplete and flat out wrong information from my old articles.
Other than that, I've also made a small update to my Partial Derivative Normal Map (PDN) article. Basically, I found an optimization to use a MADD to save an assignment, shaving off another instruction from the recovery equations.
Hope you will find them useful. :)